featuring dancing wimmen, men in tights, psychedelic ramblings and 0% bad poetry... on the Web since 1996.
ABOUT PENGUIN DUST
What's that you say? Why "Penguin Dust"? Well, it's a line in a
poem by Gregory Corso that I
happen rather to like. According to my ex, Penguin Dust is the
leftover residue inside a tin of
Penguin Mints. I suppose that'll do.
This web site began life in early 1996 on the engineering subdomain at
Louisiana Tech, as "Marcie's Tangle on the Web."
It has moved and evolved since then, going through a
brief stint at LinkNet and settling down at
the Nerd Herd for quite some time. The site moved to
snerk.net in late February 1999 and has been here ever since.
What I look like.
I am these things:
- butch dyke
- artist cleverly disguised as a sysadmin
I used to be a tattoo apprentice, but I gave it up because I was tired of working on Shabbat and never seeing my family. I like coffee, eating, telling stories, any kind of music, men's haberdashery, singing my ass off at any opportunity, and my girl. I'm in my late thirties but I still get carded a lot, for whatever that's worth.
21 things i want in a joey (or, trivia)
- I am usually a kosher vegetarian and occasionally a vegan, but for various and
sundry reasons I'm eating everything right now.
- My dream in life was, for quite some time, to be a tattoo artist. Now I'm
working on becoming a freelance illustrator. This is all with the goal of
getting the fuck out of IT.
- I used to sing Alto 1 in a women's chorus. I was also the Alto 1 section
leader, a regular soloist, and a member of the auditioned small ensemble
within the chorus. I like to sing.
- People who pass judgment without knowing the whole story really irritate me.
- People who blindly adhere to rules of any kind without ever questioning them
or considering that they might be wrong irritate me even more.
- I was born into an evangelical, semi-fundamentalist Christian family,
de-converted from Christianity when I was
28, and converted to Judaism when I was 34.
I believe I was born with a Jewish soul and do a lot of talking to Shechinah.
- I was officially diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder at the age of 29.
- In terms of queer/gender identity, I self-identify as 100%
- I am far too hard on myself most of the time, but I'm learning how not to be.
- In January 2012 I was ordained as a maggid, which is a Jewish storyteller and teacher
- I was once described as a force of nature.
- But most people think I'm just a freak of nature. ;)
- My Secret Shame is really horrible reality TV. It used to be country music,
but I got over it. I do, however, draw the line at anything involving the
- My ultimate goal in life is to live every minute in awareness. I will
never achieve this, but I keep trying.
- The hardest thing I ever did was come out to my parents.
- The easiest way to get under my skin is to be blatantly sloppy and
with spelling and punctuation.
- I have been on the Internet (well, Bitnet, then the Internet) since 1991. I have
had a Web site since 1996 and have kept a blog or journal on and off since 1999.
- I have a fabulous hippie girlfriend and four
unschooled, subversive, anti-authority
monkeychildren. I had nothing to do with making them little radicals, but I am
very glad to have the opportunity to help keep them that way.
- I passionately believe that anyone can learn to draw, and should if they so desire.
- I am a radical queer-power Jewish anarchist punk, a wanna-be hacker, a future
zine publisher, and some day I *will* ride a motorcycle.
All onsite material copyright 2011-onward Joey Locke. Theme ganked from Robert Boylan